8.14.2008

Miranda's Last Stand: A book review

I read this book today as research for the mid-grade novel I'm writing. Miranda's Last Stand is about a little girl and her mother who join Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Miranda's father was killed in the Battle of Little Big Horn and, as a result, her mother can't stand Indians. However, there are Indians traveling with Wild Bill's show and Miranda and her mother must come to terms with that.

I read through it in about 3 hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. The author, Gloria Whelan, did a great job of depicting grief from a child's point of view. Gloria writes awesome word pictures without getting bogged down. The main story themes focus on forgiveness and seeing things from another persons perspective.

This book is set in 1876. The story I'm writing is set around 1837. I'm having trouble finding enough info about that time period. Will I have to change the date? That would screw with a couple of my subplot lines. We'll see.

No comments: